Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How to be happy

I like this post about insecurity that my friend Debbie linked to on fb recently. The other day I noticed the tag line on Debbie's blog is a quote by Theodore Roosevelt, 'Comparison is the thief of joy.' True dat Teddy.

Living in central London where wealth and poverty sit, often uncomfortably, side by side has repeatedly taught me that comparing my lot to that of others is fruitless. There will always be people with so much more (materially) and many many with so much less. Like, without a home kind of less. Following American Thanksgiving I am continuing to mull over the many status updates and blog posts reflecting on gratitude and the importance of being grateful for what we have from week to week. It's a good and worthy exercise, especially when I start to let myself feel grumpy that our flat is small or my dishes are chipped (it is and they are but that's okay!) I am trying to focus on the big and little (often free!) things that bring me abundant joy every day - smiles from the boys, hot cups of tea, walking in the park, good library books, sleep . . . okay so I know I'm not quite at the heart of the matter on this one but it's a start. Lots more to say and think about here . . .

No comments: