Monday, October 15, 2012

One does like a good chocolate chip cookie

Now I'm not going to lie to you. I've baked (and, ahem, eaten) a cookie or two in my time. My quest for a really good go-to chocolate chip recipe was answered this year when the fabulous Stu got me the fabulous book by the Hummingbird Bakery for my birthday. I was reminded of how delish they are tonight as I enjoyed one with a cup of tea and watched Downton on catchup . . . and (slight spoiler alert for any North Americans in the crowd) let's just say the cookie was sorely needed for comfort after that episode!!

Hummingbird Chocolate Chip Cookies
225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
350g soft light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
400g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
225 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I find Cadbury's buttons do the trick nicely - and I also add raisins)

4 baking trays, lined with greaseproof paper
Makes 24

Preheat the oven to 179 degrees C. Cream butter and sugar together with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula after each addition. Turn mixer down to slow speed and beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda and mix well until a smooth dough is formed. Stir in the chopped chocolate until evenly dispersed. Arrange 6 equal amounts of cookie dough on each prepared baking tray, Make sure that the cookies are spaced apart to allow for spreading while baking. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and quite flat. Leave the cookies to cool slightly on the trays before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely the cookies should be soft and chewy.

2 comments:

jessieknits said...

So glad to see you blogging again! I am very jealous of your Downton watching. :-)

Julie said...

Ah, it is so good! Tonight had to choose from Downton, Homeland or The Killing II. Unusually spoiled for choice! Next on the list after re-starting blogging is re-starting knitting - I will be looking to you for inspiration :) Hope all's well!