Friday, October 19, 2012

Easy Peasy


Living in a smallish flat with two energetic children means getting outside lots, rain or shine! Check out this autumn pic of my very cute sis and her even cuter little dude at one of our favourite local parks during their visit to us last year. Because we pack a picnic with us most days to sustain us on our London adventures I'm always on the lookout for homemade lunch bag treats.

So, here's a quick round up of some super easy, quasi healthy(?) recipes that I've stumbled upon via some of the kajillion foodie blogs that I follow on Facebook. And yes, they just happen to all contain chocolate. Don't judge.

To start, the other night I tried these granola bars. Thanks to sleep deprivation I didn't follow the instructions properly so they ended up falling apart. To be honest it didn't matter all that much because even the crumbly bits disappeared pretty quickly. I will definitely be making these again and I'm pretty confident that next time they'll keep their shape.

I also wanted to highlight these dulce de leche sea salt and oatmeal no bakes. These caught my eye because I love the idea of sea salt and caramel together but had never made anything with that combo. In the end the cookies reminded me of the no bake 'haystacks' that I used to have as a child (anyone else remember them?) but a bit more moist and chewy, in a good way. Stu approved when I brought these for an energy booster after he ran the Royal Parks Half Marathon a few weeks ago.

As I type I'm sitting here wondering, have you tried black bean brownies? They are dead easy, very quick to put together AND gluten-free. They have a lovely texture and a nice deep chocolate flavour. And you would never guess you're eating beans. I promise! For this recipe and the next I use Green and Blacks cocoa powder which gives that something extra.

And now the choccywhoccydoodah grand finale! This chocolate peanut butter fudge is something special. (Disclaimer: The link is from a bit of a weird blog but the recipe is too good not to share.) We have made this with both butter and coconut oil and both were really good. I like throwing in nuts, oats, raisins or desiccated coconut if I have them on hand. These little dark chocolate cups are ideal for keeping in the fridge to enjoy with a cup of strong coffee.

No comments: