Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Let me entertain you

It's been a while since I've highlighted any books or movies on APYOC so thought I'd just go big or go home and hit the goodies all in one go.

People have been asking me if I've been knitting for my little Mars bar (who really isn't all that little anymore at about a foot long and just under 2lbs!) Truthfully I haven't done all that much. Even though I'm not dead set on pink or blue, I wonder if perhaps knowing the sex would've spurred me on a bit more when it comes to picking colours and patterns. Anyway, all that's about to change, because when I was home my Auntie A thoughtfully gave me a new knitting pattern book Baby Beanies by Aussie knitter and photographer Amanda Keeys which is full of darling designs! Can't wait to get started (and yes B, book is soon coming your way for some juicy new KD ideas!)

The one positive of all the time spent on planes during the last week was that I was afforded the luxury of some uninterrupted reading time! My top pick (which, come to think of it, I actually read before I left) is a short story collection titled Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. Really amazing - even though I don't usually go for short stories, each one quickly drew me in with empathetic characters and unexpected plot turns. I loved reading Lahiri's The Namesake during my summer hols and don't know why it took me so long to get around to this collection! Mad props to DwD for the recommendation :)

So what did I actually read during my travels? I am nearly finished The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff which is a murder mystery set in a polygamous sect in Utah which skips between the 1800's and the modern day. Although it hasn't exactly rocked my world, it satisfies a weird fascination I have with polygamy (don't take that the wrong way) and while being a fictional account, it details quite a lot of history about early Mormonism. While mooching about in airports, I also picked up The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry which has received rave reviews and Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner because every girl needs a bit of chick lit now and again!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that my travel time included a significant amount of film watching. Good old Air Canada must be upping its game because for the first time I had an individual screen on my long flight and, as you might have guessed, a movie watching binge ensued!! A couple have been on my list for a while but I hadn't managed to drag Stu to the QFT to see them yet. Rachel Getting Married is the story of a recovering drug addict who leaves rehab to attend her sister's wedding - while I think the film in general perhaps went on a bit, Anne Hathaway is fantastic playing this character which is so different from the sparkley and pure personalities of The Princess Diaries and The Devil Wears Prada.

I also had a chance to see Il y a longtemps que je t'aime (I've loved you for so long) which earned Kristin Scott Thomas a best actress Oscar nomination for her portrayal of a woman released from prison after 15 years for the murder of her young son. Both of these films are harrowing, but manage to portray humanity in the midst of their dark subject matter.

So, there you have it - some of my picks! Have you knit, read or watched anything good lately??

4 comments:

Sara said...

So glad you enjoyed the book!

stu said...

You've been busy! Lucky I have rarely enjoyed a personal TV with Air Canada! I'm not sad to have missed "Rachel getting married" mind you!

Julie said...

and i am not sad to have missed your binge of two seasons of 'the wire' in one week! (i outed you *lol*)

Debs said...

Hey I also saw 'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime'- absolutely loved it. I went to see 'The Class' last wk in QFT- very interesting but in quite a different way.
Thanks for your comment re the redhead blog- so jealous that you grew up with nothing but positive remarks on your hair! I'd be such a different person now if that was the case- to be honest I'd probably be unbearable as I was overly confident as a child so probably needed something to knock it out of me! Can't believe that comment was made to you about your baby- yes probably meant to be funny, but these things really do wear away at you when you hear them often enough! I feel like punching the person who said it, even if in good humour. I mean- how rude!!!