Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hitting the highlights



Can you believe Christmas is in five days!?!?

Sometimes I go quiet on the blogosphere because I feel like nothing has happened in my life that's worth sharing but my most recent silence is explained by a wholly different situation - believe it or not, so much has been going on that I just haven't had the time (or perhaps the ability to focus) to sit down and post! I must also admit to falling to the hurdle of trying to cover too many topics in one post and then giving up because it's turns out to be just a big jumble - Stu insightfully likened this to the 'Christmas letter syndrome' which afflicted my dear dad one year when he tried to write a Christmas update on our family and felt compelled to go back to 1980 - needless to say he didn't really get past the first paragraph!!

So then, what's the story? Brief re-cap is that we had a fantastic, if somewhat exhausting, time in London last weekend - shopping, catching up with lots of dear old friends and eating scrummy food was on the agenda. Extra unexpected highlights included happening to meet Cath Kidston (yes, the Cath Kidston!) at a book signing for Make. This was quickly followed by a sighting Gok Wan (yes, the Gok Wan!) who was shopping for baby clothes in House of Fraser. I got a picture with Cath (evidently we're on a first name basis now) and we did our darndest to snap a sneaky pic of Gok on the mobile but we gave up after we saw shop security closing in (and we realised that maybe, just maybe, we were being a bit sad!)

Later that evening I recounted my brushes (plural!) with celebrity to two different male friends who looked at me blankly without the faintest hint of recognition on either count but I was not dissuaded, knowing my story would make for hot news on APYOC! Other London highlights included ogling sewing machines in John Lewis (I think I want this one but am still researching), some mean burgers and fries from Ed's Diner and a visit to the fabled IKnit. You can see from my description that big chunks of our weekend were driven by yours truly and here's where we all pay tribute to Stu for being such a good husband!

Okay, so what else has been going on you ask? The other big news in my world is that last week I passed my driving test!!! This folks, is a BIG DEAL!! I was surprised and super pleased to have succeeded on my first attempt (brag brag) as, truth be told, I was bracing myself for a few go's. But miracle of miracles occurred in the season of advent! I felt relieved and pleased with myself, although in practice I will likely continue doing a lot of busing, walking and availing of Stu's taxi as that's just the way my life is structured.

So, that's the scoop with me. This weekend we have been getting organised for Christmas and basking in the thought of only two more days of work before a nice break. To get into the spirit, today I channeled Nigela and made multiple batches of chocolate chip banana bread, fifteens and rocky road squares and tomorrow I intend to crank out some gingerbread loaves, all to the chilled rhythms of Merry Mixmas which I downloaded on Dooce's recommendation and have been love love loving.

Feels good to get caught up!

1 comment:

The Clothesline said...

You've got to try the White Water Pecan Squares in Nancy's White Water Cookbook - to die for! Merry Christmas!