Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What's in a name?

People so do not get my double name. I say this because I got a letter today at work addressed to Julieanne Broten-Oble. (Didn't mind, truth be told, as it evoked a fond memory of of our friends' son Sam who used to call Stu and I collectively 'the Oble's'.) The other day as I signed for a recorded delivery the postman (who, incidentally, is a dead ringer for Sean Connery - not a word of a lie) remarked that he wouldn't like to write my name out out after a few pints. I often get Julie-Anne Broten-Noble which I think looks like I've been blessed by the hyphen fairy. And that, ladies and germs, concludes my mini rant for the day.

I had a driving lesson tonight after work and, well, it wasn't a disaster, so that's promising . . .

4 comments:

Sara said...

OK, confession time - the real reason I didn't send you a postcard from my hols was that I couldn't work out how to address it to both of you! (Like, where does the "Broten" go??) What is your preferred style, my lady?

Nancy Jean said...

I always call them the Broten Nobles...which, i don't know how stubird feels about that. ;)

Julie said...

that would be Mrs Stuart John Noble, thank you very much . . . :)

Michelle said...

I think the UK generally has more trouble when married couples don't have the same *one* surname. So many people here asked me what my new name would be when I got married, whereas in Canada, most assumed I'd be keeping my name and rarely asked. Double barrelling isn't that common in London from what I can tell either, despite the fact that many women establish themselves in their careers prior to getting married.

One thing that bothers me is that my bank made me go by 'Miss' and not 'Ms' when I got here (prior to the wedding). So my cash card reads Miss M Renaud. But there's not much point in changing it because my surname hasn't changed (and I suspect they would be very confused when I tried to exlain). I liken Miss with the French Mademoiselle, which you only use for little girls, but they see it differently here.