Friday, August 15, 2008

Anymore relaxed and I'd be in a coma . . .




The bottom picture is from my favourite time of the day on our holiday - after spending literally all day (nearly every day!) under our beach umbrella reading, napping and reading some more (how good is that?) we lingered on the beach into the evenings to watch the blazing sun set and take in the happy vibe as families came down for a dip.

So yes, we had an incredibly relaxing and wonderful time - more by luck than planning, truth be told, our apartment turned out to be perfectly located in Juan les Pins, only a minute's walk from the beach, train station, grocery store and cafes. The coastline, while humming with Parisians en vacance, is stunning and the warm water of the Med actually is turquoise. We did some sightseeing to Nice (very cool) and Monaco (kindof weird) by train but the plus 30 temps meant that for us sun-starved folk la plage was our favourite destination.

Hightlights were many - morning coffees in the sunshine, visiting fabulous food markets in Antibe and Nice, using my mad French skills to save the life of a pigeon (there's a story there, oh and it's a goodie!) and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our mid-afternoon granitas on the beach.

Stu and I burned through paperbacks like they were going out of style and I can proudly boast that I read five books during the week! I absolutely loved these three -

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant has been on my list for a long time and I am glad I finally went for it. The book tells the story of Dinah, Jacob's only daughter, who gets only a passing reference in the Bible. I got into the story immediately and loved hearing the story of Jacob's clan (including the tale of Joseph) from another perspective and to learn more of the role of women in that time.

Next I read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahari as recommended by the illustrious Down with Digital. DwD has flawless taste in pretty much everything, so I knew this would be good - the emotive andengaging story follows Gogol, the son of parents that immigrated from India to America in the 1970's. Great characters and I can't wait to move on to Lahari's short story collection.

I was on a serious roll as far as good reading went because I then started Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. Totally wonderful redemptive story of through the eyes of children set in the American mid-west in the 1960s. I loved Reuben the narrator's voice and his younger sister Swede (great name) made me think of To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout.

Well, that's probably enough book reviewing for me for one night! If I were responsible I would go put my wet beach towels in the washing machine and shake the sand out of my suitcase . . .

4 comments:

stock market broker said...

when will you go online?

Asha said...

What a lovely holiday!
I also enjoyed the Red Tent; and I'm a big fan of Jhumpa Lahiri. Her short stories are wonderful - her new collection just came out a couple of months ago. I'm reading Eat Love Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert right now, and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
I appreciate your book suggestions - keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Wow - love the new blog design!!

Santosh said...

Looks like you got lots of sun.