Sunday, July 6, 2008

You are my sunshine

Here's a post about a few totally unrelated things that I've been diggin' lately. And, these days when it seems to rain most of the time, I'll take a little sunshine where ever I can get it . . .

Last week I finished reading The Rose of Sebastopol by Katharine McMahon. (Yes, even though Richard and Judy make me cringe something fierce I read their book picks - so sue me!) It took me a little while to get into, but once I got to know the characters I really enjoyed this book. I like historical fiction and this story is set during the Crimean War in the mid nineteenth century and features the story of the war's nurses including Florence Nightengale, about which I previously knew nothing. Now I know something so that's good. And there's a bit of romance too which I like.

Incidentally, if you've got a bit of time on your hands during one of these rainy nights in, get yourself on Iplayer (by the way, I absolutely love Iplayer - it is the future) and watch a little Mary Queen of Shops. It's like Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares for the clothing industry (and without Gordon's sexy voice over - aww.) Slightly sad and painful to watch sometimes (as in, what were they thinking?) but compelling TV. Mary's cool too.

And finally, true to my word we've been Rebar-ing (is that a word?) Maybe not every day in July so far, but quite a lot. The other night I made this truly amazing chickpea cashew Indian spiced hummous - fragrant and delicate (can I describe it that way without sounding totally annoying? Probably not.)

Bombay Hummous from Rebar
1/4 c canola oil
1 ince piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced (Incidentally, I am totally into ginger in a jar and garlic in a tube these days - very handy.)
1 540 ml can chick peas
1/4 c cashews, roasted
juice of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
pinch turmeric
pinch cinnamon
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp chopped mint

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor, and pulse to blend. Blend to a rough puree and season to taste. Get yerself some carrots, get dippin' and wait for the clouds to clear x

2 comments:

katevp said...

ooooh history of nurses and romance?! i'll have to give that book a little look see.

I just read Unless by Carol Shields and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have 2 new ones to read... the end of the alphabet by CS Richardson (a little Canadiana) and animal, vegetable, miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.... i'll let you know how they go.

love you!

love kate

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie, did you know that we have been re-baring for about 3 years now and still can't get enough.

I've made pretty much everything in that book and love them all.
I'll email soon and let you know some of our absolute faves.

xo Laura