Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The wheels on the bus . . .

In his speech at our wedding Stuart described me, among many other glowing accolades it should be noted, as patient. I remember my sister later remarking at the humor in this as the groom's depiction of his beloved didn't wholly resonate with my family's experience of their sister and daughter - a few short months into our married life I think Stu would've heartily agreed with the sisterly assessment. While I am often up beat and enthusiastic (I like to think), I lean to the hyper side of life and admittedly am not very patient.

These traits have re-revealed themselves to me recently on my daily commute. Waiting for a bus can cause my blood pressure to spike - a worrying situation since, being license-less and fairly green, I rely heavily on public transport to get around. Generally Belfast's pink buses are my friends, but the dreaded 4a cannot seem to arrive on time EVER which really winds me up!! As I stand waiting (and stewing) I imagine all the things I am going to say to the bus driver to express my righteous disapproval, but basically I'm both polite and chicken sh*$ so I just end up paying for my ticket and saying 'thank you' slightly more quietly than usual.

While we're on the topic of buses I just want to publicly ask why so many twits (there's no other word for them) feel compelled to wear such cheap headphones that basically pump a tinny version of what is no doubt already bad music into the public bus space - especially before 8am!! This morning I was shooting dirty looks right, left and centre but to no avail (again with the blood pressure . . .) Yes, for those of you who didn't know already, I have officially outed myself as a ginger ball of rage . . .

5 comments:

Stu said...

Perhaps my comments about you being patient were more of an aspiration than a declaration!!

beardy bastard said...

there are other names for them

Nancy Jean said...

hehe. sweet postage, jules.
and stu, sweet profile pic..the lioness!

andmilestogobeforeisleep said...

Perhaps i can shed some light on the bus timetabling issue... one of my random summer jobs was to work in the timetabling office of Citybus (Metro's mighty red forerunner)where we spent weeks on end literally cutting up old timetables and sticking them together again with pritt stick to make new ones... there was a suggestion in the midst of this great cut and paste operation that while all the times were technically accurate they did not make allowance for all the little things that bus drivers have to deal with... like traffic, various varieties of push chair and those from the older generations... hence the buses were invariably late. I like to think that timetabling methods have changed since then but your blog suggests perhaps not...

soapboxrants said...

I too share the joys of the 4a, all the way from the end of the line in the 'been'. My most disturbing discovery has been that the 8.05 is often overtaken by the 8.15. you can guess which one I now get...