Friday, January 18, 2008

Whatever butters your muffin . . .



Yeah, I know, I know. Where've I been? No real excuse for the non-blogging except the predictable story of struggling to re-adjust myself to 'life as usual' after the lovely and long holiday. I don't really have anything genuine to complain about, so I will spare you my lament about how generally blah January can be . . .

Looking on the bright side, it's Friday night - quite possibly my favourite time of the whole week. To round out the work week and decompress a bit I went to a class at my newly joined fitness club - the club is all classes (which suits me because treadmills are yawnsville) and the instructors are fantastic. They keep you motivated by saying things like 'Whatever butters your muffin . . . ' as you sweat it out. Love that. I went to two back to back classes last Friday night and struggled to raise my arms above shoulder height for the entire weekend but have resolved to continue. It can only improve from there really.

In addition to gyming it a bit more (I know, predictable in January) I am trying to be a bit more organised on the food front and cook lots of delicious and nutritious meals. Tonight we made a scrummy butternut squash and sweet potato curry for our tea. Thanks to my beloved family's yuletide generosity I have a delightful whackload of new cookbooks to crack into - so far this has mostly involved bedtime reading, but it's inspiring stuff! The Barefoot Contessa is my new hero and I was especially inspired to read that at one time she worked for the government. Dare to dream . . .

No comments: