Sunday, October 7, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada - at the risk of sounding too melancholy I have to say that my perpetual habit of missing special occasions at home is really getting a bit old. On the bright side, Stu's mom and dad very kindly hosted an Irish-Canadian celebration with a lovely dinner complete with pumpkin pie. Now as it grows later on Sunday night I find myself wishing that the theme would continue for a wee while longer as tomorrow's a holiday at home and I could use a bit of that . . .

Carrying on with the Thanksgiving theme, I found myself thinking of the film What's Cooking today - from Gurinder Chadha (Bend it Like Beckham director) the movie is set on Thanksgiving (American that is) and cleverly profiles the experiences of four families from different cultural backgrounds in Los Angeles. It's been ages since we watched it, but I remember really enjoying it.

Life's been busy and good - a sometimes hectic but mostly satisfying mix of work, friends, running (I am officially registered for Dublin so there's no backing out now!) and other adventures . . . There hasn't been much time for TV in the mix but tonight I was delighted to watch the new season premier of Ugly Betty (oh, how I missed her and I'm not even ashamed to admit it . . .) and then we watched Louis Theroux's Under the Knife which featured one of my favourite Brits investigating the phenomenon of plastic surgery in America. He has a knack for finding the strangest people and I love his unobtrusive manner of questioning which only serves to highlight the madness. Good stuff.

3 comments:

The Loeppkys said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Glad to hear you got some pumpkin pie over across the ocean :)

The Loeppkys said...

one more thing: I found this site and thought you might be interested, or you may already know about it: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=41711

Have a great day!

katevp said...

oh etsy how i love thee.

jill lukiwski is selling her home made jewelry on their as well.
thenoisyplume.etsy.com

miss you jules!