Sunday, September 30, 2007
The Big Knit
I have something random and fun for all you NI knitters out there - Innocent Smoothies is asking knitters across the UK to knit lots of little hats for their smoothie bottles. These behatted bottles will then go into Sainsbury’s in November and for every one sold innocent and Sainsbury’s will give 50p to Age Concern. Almost 25,000 older people died of cold related illnesses last winter, and this is a chance for us knitters to do our bit. Age Concern will use the money raised to provide support to older people in winter including hot meals, blankets and advice on how to keep their houses warm. In 2006 knitters managed to raise £115,000 by knitting 230,000 hats. This year Age Concern and Innocent are dreaming about what £200,000 could do. The goal is to pile up 400,000 hats by 17th October and it is hoped that 16,000 of these will be made in Northern Ireland.
Alice (a friend that I met through APYOC believe it or not!) and I are organising a Belfast Big Knit evening on Monday 15th October at 7pm at Common Grounds Cafe in Botanic. Bring some double knitting yarn (if you have some) and some small needles! Pass the word on to any UK knitters that you might know! Here's the pattern if you'd like to get started now . . .
- Using double knitting yarn and some small needles (3 1/4-4mm) cast on 28 stitches.
- Knit 2 rows. Then starting with a knit row, work in stocking stitch for 12 more rows).
- For the next row, knit 2 together to the end (14 stitches). And for the row after that, purl 2 together to the end (7 stitches).
- When you've finished cut the yarn leaving about 25 cm. Thread the cut end through a sewing needle, then run it through the loops and remove the knitting needles.
- Tighten the yarn and sew the little hat together at the side. Once finished, turn it the right side out so that the seam you've sewn runs up the inside.
- Sew a little bobble onto the top of the hat if you like.