Monday, August 27, 2007

Inish Free


This weekend I got a little taste of home. We spent the long weekend at Stuart's uncle's cabin on an island in the middle of Lough Erne, and while County Fermanagh is about as Irish as it comes, a cabin on an island in the middle of a lake in August is about as Canadian as it gets! It was a lovely time filled with sleeping, snacking, reading, bbqing, jigsaw puzzling, card playing and listening to Radio four, punctuated by the occasional 'cowabunga jump' off the end of the dock! I only wished I could've teleported in the family and friends that usually accompany the quintessential cabin experience (hmmmm . . . teleporting - now really that is a good idea . . .)

From our weekend I have a few recommendations - The first day on the island it was just me and a deck chair as I read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell and really really enjoyed it - I am delighted to see that O'Farrell has a few more titles. I am now three quarters way through The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty (thanks B!) and it is wonderful as well in a heartbreaking sort of way. For the sleuths among us, Stu read Dead Lagoon by Michael Dibdin and gives it mad props. Finally, I really must give Russell Brand's Radio two Saturday evening show a mention - I nearly wet myself listening to his lunacy while knitting a never-ending sleeve by candle light. Who could ask for anything more??

No comments: