Sunday, July 22, 2007

hostels, soul music and shock jocks

Friday night after work we hit the road to go up to the north coast and spent one night at our favourite luxury accommodation in NI - the Whitepark Bay Hostel! It's a lovely place with its own private beach, rooms with views of the coast and a spotless kitchen for self catering. It also doesn't hurt that it's relatively cheap. We were even fortunate enough to have dry weather . No, not hot, but this 'summer' (using the term loosely here!) we counted ourselves lucky to have a day without rain!

We came home on Saturday afternoon in time to go to see a gig at the Waterfront - Foy Vance put on a great show and it was a really good night out with our friends. If you can get your hands on Foy Vance's debut album 'Hope' do so (I don't know if he's available yet on Itunes in North America.) Stu and I are liking it! Right this very minute as I blog before bed I am listening to Amy Winehouse's album Back to Black - I know I'm not being very cutting edge here with this announcement but it's good (just bought it yesterday - gotta love the instant buys with Itunes!)

Hmmm . . . What else did I want to chat about tonight after yet another long gap in blogging (blame the 'summer' I say!)? Oh yes, in between work and the other usual stuff of life I am on a mission to find the East Belfast woman who was commissioned to knit a sixteen foot scarf for Tom Hanks new movie City of Ember that is being filmed here in Belfast. Bizarre and cool I say. I have it on good authority (Stuart who heard the interview) that she was interviewed on BBC Radio Ulster's Stephan Nolan show last Friday (for those of you who don't know, Stephen Nolan is Northern Ireland's resident 'shock jock' and for me is like nails on a chalk board or something else decidedly unpleasant!) . . . I know, I know - it should be simple enough to find out more (I'm wondering if she has a EB Stitch 'n' Bitch) but I just can't bear the thought of listening to a whole hour and a half of the show in order to hear her story. Here's where my devotion to the craft of knitting is really put to the test!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of the site where you can download free music? Check it out at avaleigh.co.uk