Friday, June 15, 2007

We salute you

When we were in London a few weeks ago we saw a very elderly man out for an afternoon walk wearing a red military uniform near St Paul's cathedral. My companions Stu, Dunc and Chris informed me that he was a Chelsea Pensioner. I didn't know what this meant so the boys graciously elaborated, explaining that the pensioners are an iconic group in UK culture dating back to 1689. These veterans (who obviously themselves do not date back quite that far) live at the Royal Hospital in Chelsea in London.

For this reason, I was loving it when Chris sent me the link to this story about the White Stripes playing a private gig for the pensioners! According to the article one pensioner said, 'I thought it was excellent. It's not my scene really because it's a different type of music altogether but I thought they were very very good' while another commented, 'It was nice but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them.' Rock on. Must be a red thing.

No comments: