Wednesday, May 16, 2007

London calling


I've been living in the UK for quite a while now and so even though lots of things are somewhat different, for the most part I feel quite at home. However, every now and then I have a 'wee moment' where I think . . . that was weird. I just had one such moment - the news this evening featured a special report about the military's final decision not to allow Prince Harry to go on patrol in Iraq because he'd be such a target for insurgents (gee, ya think??) First of all, I don't really understand why we're all supposed to feel sorry for Harry because the poor lad won't have the chance to get blown up etc (the much talked about threat is idea of insurgents cutting off his ears and send them to his gran - eww.)

Anyway, enough of my rant and back to my culture shock moment. The illustrious MP Desmond Swayne (never heard of him - pictured left) was interviewed about Harrygate. Which featured Mr Swayne exclaiming - wait for it - that the army's decision over Harry's military service has been, and I quote, 'on and off like a bride's nightie!' Wow, Dessie. I've never heard that one before. Viva the plumby Englishman.

But enough about that - I just couldn't resist recounting that interview. Must run now and pack my bag as we're going to London tomorrow afternoon for the weekend (yes, I'm all holiday all the time these days . . . like a bride's nightie.)

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hi there new facebook friend. Just cooked this for dinner and it was very yummy, so thought I'd share it with my favourite foodie - http://www.jilldupleix.com/recipes/rec061.php

Its all kinds of good.