Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rathlin Island



'The brook would lose its song if we removed the rocks.'
Wallace Stegner

I had one of the best days I've had in a long time yesterday. Stuart and I and my parents packed up the car bright and early Saturday morning to head to the North Coast where we boarded a ferry to Rathlin Island. Rathlin Island is a small island which is inhabited by about eighty people. It is a famous refuge for birds (especially puffins) and is an amazing place to visit - so beautiful and quiet since there are hardly any vehicles on the island and parts of the island are designated nature reserves. We even got to watch seals sunning themselves on the rocks! Stu and I explored the hilly terrain on our bikes and my mom and dad did a big walk. I returned home last night feeling so refreshed. It was so good to get out of the city for the day and to spend all that time in the sunshine!

3 comments:

katevp said...

sounds so fun Julie!!

I miss the adventures that were had in SK nature. I am looking to get a bike soon. I'd like to explore Gatineau Park this summer.

get out of the city a bit.

love you!

kate

Julie said...

We so took those wonderful outdoor Saskatchewan adventures for granted . . . sigh! Get you on your bike and I'll try to do the same! :)
Miss you - are you all done exams yet??
Hugs and happy quilting!
Julie xo

the clothesline said...

Hi Julie,

Glad to see the Wallace Stegner quote about the brook. What piece of work does that come from? Nice photos and aren't those islands of Ireland gorgeous?

Catherine in Kaslo