Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In the bag

I want to share with you what I did this morning but I'm afraid it might make you think I am somewhat odd. I explained the saga to Ninny in brief in an email today and she responded, 'sounds . . . random . . .' Anyway, random though it may be, my morning adventure's good fodder for the blog so here goes . . .

Those among you who read such illustrious British publications (read celebrity gossip mags) as Heat and Grazia will be familiar with the new 'It Bag' of the year - The £5 canvas tote by Anya Hindmarsh (who usually designs £1,000 handbags) sporting the oh so earth friendly slogan 'I'm not a plastic bag' has been spotted on the arm of many a celebrity hipster this season. Anyway, a new limited edition of the bag went on sale at 8am this morning at Sainsbury's grocery stores across the UK. Sources (read the guy who answers the phone at the customer service desk) told me that each store only had thirty bags to sell and that it was recommended to come early.

Leave it to me to apsire to have one of these trendy shoppers as my own. I mean, I ask you, who amongst us would turn down an 'It Bag' for a fiver? (Me, I love a bargain.) All of this prompted me to get on my bike very early this morning (I'm not going to tell you how early because then you will just think I'm officially a full-on saddo) and peddle through the early morning rain to the grocery store.

When I arrived, well, let's just say there wasn't a massive queue (I was the only one there!) Despite feeling ever so slightly like a lunatic, I was not to be dissuaded and settled down outside the front door with my thermos of coffee, my knitting and my book, texting Stu that my chances of getting a bag were looking good.

Eventually the line built up, full of mostly women and a few husbands who had been tasked with this errand on the way to work. There we stood, all feeling slightly embarassed, assuring one another that whether in the name of fashion, environmentalism or profit, the early morning was surely worth it. (While we're on the topic of profit, I should mention that these little beauties are selling on Ebay for nearly £200. I think that I object strongly to this kind of inflation - a canvass bag's not really worth £200 is it? - but I am somewhat tempted!)

In summary, I got the bag, it's cool and I happily yawned my way through the workday . . .

9 comments:

dunny said...

First, I think you need to have full disclosure with your public--how early was early?!

Second, put the bag on eBay for £200!! Think what new fashion that £195 could buy at Primark!!

Nancy Jean said...

HAHA. you ARE soo random. but that is also so awesome, bringing some "adventure into life" as you put it this morning! i would have biked and waited with you. 5 pounds can't be beat. were you allowed to buy more than one? ;)
i second the dunster - how early was early? happy environmentally-sound shopping, my sista. my black MEC'er does the trick (my only dilemma is i still need doggie-do bags!)
love nin

katevp said...

ha ha. love the story jules. i am having a love affair with the cloth bags right now (and forever more!) to the point that when i forget them, i usually end up carrying a ridiculous amount of items home in my arms. my favourite is the one with the green handles that says "mining, good for saskatchewan". is this really true? not truly sure on that one!

love you! kate

Sara said...

I think this may be my favourite post so far!

Asha said...

I loved the story! But I also want to know HOW early you got up for the bag - you can tell us, there is no room for judgement here in blog-dom.

I definitely would have done the same (although I probably would have driven which would have somewhat defeated the purpose behind buying an environmental-friendly bag). We are also big fans of NJB's black mec bag - we use it for everything!

Anonymous said...

btw, mining is good for Sask.

Joel M-E said...

I believe you only need one move vote.... so tell us what time you got up? I once got up at 4 or 5am to get a great deal on a computer... are you as pathetic as I am ?

Do you have shoes and a belt to match the bag?

dunny said...

JBN, you can't keep holding out on us!! The longer you wait, the more incriminating it gets!

Julie said...

Okay, in the interest of full disclosure, I will admit that I got up at five thirty (my shame!) and was at Sainsbury's at five to six. Yes, I am pathetic! :) Oh yeah, and Stu wants me to point out that I did not bike out of love for the earth, but only because he was in London for work. Had I had the option I must admit that I would've dragged him and the Mazda on the little adventure!