Monday, April 2, 2007

C is for Cookie


Many moons ago my dad clipped a healthy oatmeal raisin cookie recipe from the lifestyle pages of the local paper. The clipping resolutely stuck to the fridge in my parent's house, a not-too-subtle hint for someone (anyone!) to make the recipe. Well, the lover of Dad's oatmeal raisin cookies (known as my dad) is now officially happy.

I had a job interview thingy all day today and so to de-stress this evening I enjoyed baking these bickies and all I can say is, who said the Star Phoenix is only good for outing my sister's new relationships? :) The recipe came up trumps with this homemade and fairly healthy rendition. If you find yourself in need a little relaxation, consider some baking. Afterall, nothin' says lovin' . . .

By the way, I am finally getting really into Arcade Fire and officially loving them. Yes, I know I'm a bit behind in waiting until they are a worldwide sensation to get on board, but better late than neaver right? Anyway, without further adieu, the cookie recipe . . .

Oatmeal Cookies
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp apple juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins

In a large bowl, beat together oil and sugars until well combined and smooth. Beat in the egg, apple juice and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the rolled oats, flours, soda, cinnamon and raisins, then transfer to the wet mixture and stir until well blended. Chill in the refrigerator at least one hour. Preheat oven to 350 F. Place roundish balls of the chilled dough on a cookie sheet lined with greaseproof or waxed paper. Bake cookies about 10 minutes or until lightly browned (oh yes, and my not so secret secret to chewy cookie goodness that I discovered while baking 350 cookies a day at treeplanting - undercook ever so slightly and let them finish off while cooling! Genius.)

And the best part you ask? Being able to take them over to my mom and dad's flat while still warm and enjoy them together with a cup of tea. Awwww . . .

6 comments:

Andi and Demi said...

Yummmm! My friend Jeremy, who is a Master Cookie baker, likes to mix choc. chips and raisins in his cookies....soooooo good. Right now I am into raisins, choc. chips, nuts and chopped dried apricots in my cookies. an idea from the Rebar cookbook!

Nancy Jean said...

jules - wish i could have joined you for the cookies. so wonderful you are having nice times together...thank you for the reminder of dad's funny not-so-subtle hints. :)
busy days at the uni these days, but good as usual.

have you heard Embrace? went for lunch on sunday with good friends and second cousins Erin and Garret H, and they made a list of recommendations - Embrace (self-titled) album being one of them. needless to say, i have the disc and love it. i think you and sjn would too.

to bed para mi. no army for this month!

xoxo to the crew -njb

Nancy Jean said...

p.s. you should put a link to Cath McC's blog.

Julie said...

Hi Andi
I like where you're coming from with all the good stuff added in - I had to be restrained in this case because Bruce is a bit of a purist when it comes to the oatmeal raisin combo!
I see on your blog that you got snow for spring - sorry to hear that!
Hey, how's your ski training club going??
Miss you - have you had any marzipan lately? :)
Julie xo

Julie said...

Ninners
Thanks for the reminder about Cath Mc's blog! I have been meaning to highlight it for a long time!
Thanks for all the pics!! You are all so gorgeous and I loved the canoeing adventure ones :)
I wish you could've come over for tea and cookies as well - I miss you lots and lots! xo
I have not heard of embrace - I will do some looking on Itunes - hey, btw, how's the nano treating you??
Now it's off to bed for me . . .
Like I said, miss you lots!
jul xo

Julie said...

Ooh Rebar - I think you got that from Laura-lean as a wedding pressie :)
I want to get that next time I am home!
bye Andi - j :)