Monday, March 26, 2007

Sunny Monday


The paparazzi snapped the Ninnygoat on a sunny Sunday afternoon paddle on the South Saskatchewan. Imagine my parent's response when they logged on to the digital Saskatoon Star Phoenix this morning (a daily ritual - the news junkies need to keep up on the SK news!) and saw Nancy, her friend Matt and 'their' dog Cleo on the front page! Sorry that it's such a small pic - Despite my best efforts I couldn't get anything bigger than a thumbnail.

So, I have to say my sister's front page appearance was probably the most exciting event of this Monday. Although come to think of it I must give mad props to Rachel Allen and this yummy, fairly healthy recipe which we enjoyed tonight after going for a swim at the gym.

Creamy Pasta with Sun-blush Tomatoes, Olives and Pine Nuts
serves 4-6
400g dried pasta
250ml fat free creme fraiche (or half fat free sour cream and natural yogurt)
75g semi-sun-dried (also called sun-blushed) tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
12-16 black olives, pitted and chopped
50g pine nuts, toasted in a dry pan until golden
50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch of sugar

Bring a large saucepan of water with 1 teaspoon salt up to the boil, and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Meanwhile, place the creme fraiche in a saucepan and heat to a gentle simmer. Add the sun-bluch tomatoes, tomato puree, chopped olives, most of the toasted pine nuts and most of the grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper and taste - it might need a pinch of sugar too. When the pasta is cooked, drain, leaving a couple of tablespoons of the coking water with the pasta. Stir in the hot sun-blush tomato sauce, taste and season again if necessary. Sprinkle with the remaining pine nuts and grated Parmesan cheese and serve.

4 comments:

Nancy Jean said...

come on comments...say what everyone is thinking: "Who is this Mr. Johnson and why does ninnygoat share a dog with him?"

dunny said...

JBN,

Tried the recipe tonight for jdunny. We both enjoyed it thoroughly, though I think that American creme fraiche is possibly thicker than yours...? The 'sauce' part was quite thick.

As for health, jdunny was a bit wary of the caloric content of the creme fraiche, but possibly making it with the fat free sour cream and yogurt would be the answer to that...anyway, the bottom line is that it was delicious! I did add some sliced mushrooms, which provided a nice touch, if I do say so myself.

I would like to suggest that you might begin posting a 'recipe of the week' with your comments and suggestions...

By the way, ninnygoat, tell mr. johnson I said hello. ;-)

Julie said...

Nin
Of course we were all thinking it! Nice one on just getting it out there!!
(I've enjoyed our recent email loop with the Dun!)
Miss you big time - have a good weekend - are you working??
Love you -
Julie xox

Julie said...

Dunny
Glad you liked the pasta . . . You make some good points about the 'healthiness!' My creme fraiche was fat free - I think fat free natural yogurt would work (actually I used half and half.)
Hi to J-Dun :)
Talk to you soon,
jbn xo