Sunday, February 4, 2007

We're back . . .



To anyone who noticed, many apologies for the blogging hiatus. I think this has been my longest span of not posting since I started this whole gig in November. Fear not - I wasn't intentionally ignoring my cyberfriends - I've just been offline since Friday as we've been in County Donegal on our church weekend away. All in all we had a really good time! It was great to get to know people better and it was more than a bit refreshing to get out of the city for a bit. While there wasn't much free time to explore the area this weekend, beautiful and rugged Donegal (in the Republic of Ireland but on the north-west coast) is definitely added to my list of holiday destinations.

When we came home this afternoon we thankfully still had some time to attend to the un-fun but necessary weekend duties such as laundry, cleaning and groceries. After getting the chores out of the way, we settled down and watched a movie that I've been wanting to see for a long time. Tsotsi is a South African film set in a real township built on a landfill only ten km from the centre of Johannesburg. It is a really heartbreaking and human transformation story of a 'thug' (literal translation of 'tsotsi') who nabs a baby in a car-jacking gone horribly wrong. It's hard to watch (as is one of the dvd special features which features a day in the life of some children who live in the actual township) but not to be missed. In addition to the compelling story and acting, the cinematography and music are wonderful.

Oh, by the way, for anyone tracking my parent's visit I can report that they left bright and early on Friday morning to meet J 'n D for three weeks of sunny fun in Tenerife, Spain and Portugal (nice for some!) The trip will undoubtedly include golf, lounging by the pool, more golf, good food and adventurous day trips. Did I mention golf? I did consider trying to stow away in their suitcase but no such luck - baggage limits just aren't what they used to be! Mom and Dad, if you're reading, I hope you're enjoying the trip so far! Drop us a line :)

3 comments:

Andi and Demi said...

I just started blogging again too after a much longer hiatus. It's now been added to my list of resolutions! Glad to hear you are doing well. Andi

The Loeppkys said...

Sounds like you had a nice weekend away. You are admired for only taking a few days hiatus from blogging. Most of us are not nearly as dedicated. I am thoroughly enjoying keeping up on your life as of late!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear the weekend was fun. Things were full but ok with us. R's sister and husband were in town. I attended some events. We're in a real cold snap, so news of tenerife is tempting.
cpb.