Saturday, February 17, 2007

Dinner is served

We had a fun Friday night last night. Our friends Paul and Ruth had us and another couple people over for a dinner party - it was a really good night with fun conversation and great food. Paul cooked Malaysian Chicken Curry with Jasmine Rice from Gordon Ramsay's Sunday Lunch cookbook. Although I am a big fan of Gordon (yes, sailor's mouth and all - his Kitchen Nightmares show makes for some very compelling viewing - Oh no! . . . I had resolved not to talk about tv on this blog anymore! Some people were getting worried) I had never really looked at this cookbook as I assumed from the name that it was mostly roasts and such. (Not that I don't like roasts but other things get me going a bit more on the recipe front.) All that to say that Paul's curry was really good so I think I will give the book a try. (For those of you who haven't noticed, I have a bit of a thing for cookbooks - half-hearted apologies to those of you for whom this topic is yawnsville!)

Another good thing about the night was of course the company. Our friend Ruth has a very sarcastic sense of humour which I happen to find hilarious. She has a way of making fun of you where you cannot help but laugh along rather than getting offended. As a general point of interest about Northern Ireland, this kind of 'abuse' is pretty par for the course among friends here. Long ago and far away when Stuart and I were just becoming friends I asked him why he made fun of me so much. Although I didn't know that he was trying to win my affection at the time, if I had known I would have thought that he had a pretty odd way of showing it (i.e. by picking on me!) Stu replied to me that this 'banter' in NI terms means that you are liked. Hmmmm. After being married to Stuart for what is quickly turning into a fairly long time and living and working here in Belfast I can whole-heartedly authenticate this fact. I try not to be a thin-skinned Canuckian about it (oh, we Canadians are so lovely and polite - sigh!) and I manage to succeed most of the time.

2 comments:

Andi and Demi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andi and Demi said...

Opps, I'm having trouble and deleted my comment somehow. I still have a lot to learn about bloggin' Anyway, keep on cooking!
andi