Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Kevin Bacon Effect

Every now and again Stu and I indulge in the pointless activity of playing 'Six Degrees of Separation.' You know . . . the game where you try to figure out how many famous people you can link yourself to through personal acquaintance (it's said that any actor can be linked to Kevin Bacon within six film roles. He's started up an online fundraising website called sixdegrees.org which plays on this idea.) It's fun to see how many steps away from famous people I can place myself and this somehow makes me feel important (that's warped huh?) Anyway, dear readers (who are mostly friends and family I presume) I love you all the same but I have to admit that certain friends prove more useful than others in linking me to celebs. For instance, my friend Tee grew up in the same town as peanut farmer and former president Jimmy Carter. That's certainly a good connection but hands down Dunny of the OC gets the award for the most links as she connects us with several famous faces including presidents Nixon, Regan and Bush Sr (and by extension Dubya - not sure if I'm happy about that connection!) She's also met the Indigo Girls and recently rode on a plane with Danny DeVito (the big news is she's taller than him and believe you me, Dunny is not especially tall.) Anyway, if we bend the rules and don't insist that my friend's actually met the famous person (which in this case I don't) the DeVito encounter connects us to the entire cast of Cheers and that is very very cool. I heart Sam Malone.

So here comes my inevitable blogger question - who do you know?? Our friend Santosh has met Bono (twice!) and Stu's new job now can connect us with some infamous Northern Irish and UK politicians (again, not sure if this is a good thing!) Let me know if you have any momentous connections that I don't know about and I can incorporate them into my fruitless little game . . .

In other news, Nancy has gotten Cleo the blond bombshell Airdale Terrier. She's a beauty and as an added bonus she matches Bonny, the sexy new granny car. (She's also a never-nude but let's just say that if you don't know why, don't ask! . . . Speaking of which, let's all just pause collectively for a second to mourn the cancellation of Arrested Development.)

At the end of this post I also wanted to tag on just a bit of knitting news. I haven't been doing too much lately apart from being in the early stages of a nice simple scarf in sea green Colinette for my mom. Anyway, to answer your request Dunny here's the link for a fun and easy-ish felted booga bag. It's a satisfying project - I made a couple that turned out really well and I know Andi made one too. Also, anyone looking for some footloose and fancy free knitting check out this 365 day free form knitting project. It's a mad and zany way to use up all those little bits in your yarn stash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

leave me alone!

Luv,

Kevin 'canadain' bacon

Joel M-E said...

Maybe you should set up your own 5 degrees.... maybe the you could do the 5 degrees of Liz McT. It appears that you are still pretty tight with some pioneer people... I just confirmed who Andi is (tooka peek at her blog), I think the dumpling gang went there, Rev Santosh, Matt(either here or the Rev's blog)....

Julie said...

hmmmm . . .
joel e, you might be on to something! you've also just confirmed to me that you are indeed the joel i thought you were from plunge days! you can also include ninny, kate vp and carla who often comment as other pioneer alum who frequent this blog! :) thanks to blogging i can stay close to all my psc buddies! also, i will always refer to santosh as rev santosh from now on. i like that.
have a good friday!
julie :)