Sunday, January 21, 2007

Do something!!!

We just watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth tonight and it was really interesting and very scary. If you haven't seen it yet, click here to see the trailer and get further information on climate change. I feel very compelled to take some serious steps to reduce my carbon footprint and also harangue our government into doing more (from time to time I use this blog as my little notepad for resolving to be a better person and hopefully by posting it on the internet, I will feel more bound to follow through but the effectiveness of this strategy remains to be seen.) My dad thinks that the documentary should be shown in churches everywhere and I agree (along with schools, workplaces, shopping malls . . . !) Have you seen it? What did you think?

We had a very nice day - after church Stu's mom and dad had us and my parents over for a lovely Sunday lunch. Fortunately our two sets of parents are great friends so it's fun when the six of us get together! Sara, you asked about NI culture shock for the parentals - they're doing well so far and enjoy noticing the little differences (since they've been here before the charming murals/'peace' walls etc are not as jaw dropping as they might have been.) For instance, today at lunch they heartily appreciated the classic Northern Irish multiple dessert convention (i.e. having a selection of desserts to end a Sunday lunch) that you educated me about many moons ago.

Finally, Nancy adopted the belle Airdale Terrier Cleo this afternoon - pics will be posted as soon as Ninny has a chance to send them on - hope all goes well on your first day of 'doggy-motherhood'!

2 comments:

dunny said...

jbn, thanks for the reminder to watch "An Inconvenient Truth." Tina and I saw it last night, and I have to say it is rather compelling. Any thoughts on specifics that you are going to change because of it?

Santosh said...

I think I posted my top 10 movies of 2006 a few posts back on my blog - Inconvenient Truth and Sunshine were both on there, with Sunshine taking #1 - actually its should be a tie w. the Departed.

Sunshine is nominated for best pic - both abigail Breslin and Alan Arkin were nominated in supporting roles. I think Sunshine has a pretty good shot at winning best pic, although I am also pulling for departed.

I also miss Pioneer, and the indelible memories with Winston and Greg.