Monday, January 8, 2007

Chili-chonga


I am conscious that my last post makes it look like all I ever do is watch tv and dvds. In case you're getting worried, I do do other things. Lots of 'em. I just happen to like to talk about interesting things on the tube.

Anyway, making a concerted effort not to talk about television I have decided to share Stu's Chili recipe with you. We recently bought a small freezer as part of our new 2007 strategy to lead less hectic lives (new year, new you - you know the drill . . . ) The idea behind the freezer is that we'll make some meals ahead of time (like, on the weekend when cooking's fun) and then have something homemade and healthy for those evenings when neither of us wants to do much. This is the same strategy that had me out running in the pouring rain today after work, but I'm only mentioning that because I like to use my blog to give myself a cyber space pat on the back. Anyway, the industrious Stu made a big batch of his oh so good chili last night and we had some tonight with the rest going into the freezer, neatly packaged in pieces from my fairly large collection of tupperware.

Stu's Chili
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 green peppers, diced
500 grams extra lean ground beef
1 14oz can of kidney beans, rinsed
2 14oz cans of chopped tomatoes
tomato puree - about 2 tbsps
mild chili powder - about 1/2 - 3/4 tsp
2 tbsp white sugar
worcestershire sauce - a few splashes

Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan and add onions and garlic, sprinkle with a bit of chili powder and salt and pepper and fry until translucent. After about five minutes add green peppers. After a couple more minutes add the ground beef and brown. When the beef is browned, add the beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, remaining chili powder, sugar and worcestershire sauce. Simmer on medium heat for at least 25 minutes. Stir the chili and taste and then add what's missing be it puree, chili, sugar or worcestershire. (Sometimes Stu has added cinnamon or cocoa powder to the chili and that's good too.) Serve with rice, grated cheese, natural yogurt and chopped spring onions. Yummy.

No comments: