Monday, December 11, 2006

If it's good enough for Don . . .

My sister Nancy doesn't have a blog, but yesterday on the phone several of her sentences started with, 'Hey! You should do a post about . . . ' I suggested that she get a blog of her own to exercise this creativity but she answered that she wouldn't possibly have the time to maintain such a thing. Since we've already established that I, on the other hand, have plenty of time, I agreed to blog by proxy for the Ninnygoat. Her topic of choice you ask? Cold-fx. That's right - along with Don Cherry, Ninny fully endorses it. She ran out the other day and was suddenly starting to feel stuffed up. Can you say placebo? Just kidding - I'm a believer. My cousin-in-law (is there such a thing?) Nico tried to sell me on it during our treeplanting summer and I would've gotten on board but it was a bit 'dear' as they say here and we were, well, poor. (By the way Nico, if you're reading, I thought of you and your pa tonight on the bus when Shakira came on my Nano!) Back to Cold-fx, on Nancy's recommendation I shall endeavour to get my hands on some to ward off the winter snottiness. I mean, if it's good enough for Don . . .

Nancy's other blogging suggestion? Holy toast (Batman!) Kate recently sent her a set of these little beauties. The website assures us, if 'you suffer from the almost constant disappointment of holy effigies failing to miraculously appear to you during breakfast . . . don't leave it to chance or random benevolence (never a safe bet), this absolutely brilliant yet thoroughly un-blessed pair of Holy Toast presses, will guarantee you a highly visible (even to the faithless), and perfect Virgin Mary every time.' Ace.

As for me, I must admit that I've nothing 'strange or startling' to report. Work's been hectic enough but I'm spurred on by the knowledge that Stu and I start our Christmas holidays on Friday!! Cold remedies and ethereal toast notwithstanding, there's something worth getting excited about.

7 comments:

cpb said...

Don Cherry is brutal. Shame on you for supporting anything that provides him with additional heaps of cash. He already has a very lucrative contract with the CBC. Shame on the CBC, too.

The Loeppkys said...

Don Cherry is so quintessentially Canadian and so entertaining! I was so pleased to see his picture today on your blog! I loved the cap you knitted - kudos for becoming such an expert knitter! What is your job now? You haven't filled us in on this in your blog.

Julie said...

Oh oh - dissension in the ranks. Stu asks how a man can be both brutal and quintessentially Canadian? You decide.

nico said...

julie!

i have to admit, now that i'm not living in the luxury of being able to afford cold f/x, i don't take it as religiously. that said, placebo or not, i still fully endorse the product. and i don't even like don cherry!

nico

p.s. thought of you today when i was picking out wool; i didn't find any i liked (and truly, i don't really want to get into a big project that i won't be able to complete over the holidays)... but someday i still want to learn how to knit. next time you're on holidays here, we should swap hobbies.

tirunesh said...

To all those money grubbing fake drug developers out there, may I propose for developing country traveler Culture-Shock FX, Dirty Look FX, Traveler's Diarrhea FX and Filthy Marriage Proposal FX. I would waste money on any and all of these preventive methods.

V-Singe

Julie said...

Val
Yikes! I think you might have stumbled on a real goldmine there. You always were an inter-disciplinary thinker - considering moving into pharmaseuticals perhaps??
Julie :)

Julie said...

Nico
Apparently Cold-FX is just what the docter (er, I mean dentist!) ordered! As for the craftiness, we should definitely swap knowledge - I bought Debbie Stoller's 'Happy Hooker' crochet for beginners book a while back (and yes, I do talk about Debbie Stoller books too much!) but I haven't really settled down to study the art of hooking but I promise that I will (perhaps over Xmas.) I think crochet makes especially lovely things with cotton yarns. Good luck on the yarn hunt - there's a shop on 8th Street which I think is okay but online's probably your best bet :)
Miss you - hi to Rosie!
J