Saturday, December 2, 2006

Fa la la la la


I have to say that one of the best things about being in the UK for the Christmas season are the frequent opportunities to enjoy mulled wine (doing some concerted looking on the bright side here because I would love to be coming home!) I haven't made any yet this year, but believe me I will, and I suggest you do the same. This one's from the one and only Nigella. (Accompanying mince pies coming soon!)

Nigella's Mulled Wine
1 bottle red wine
4 tbsp dark rum
125 ml Earl Grey tea
1 orange quartered, each quarter stuck with 1 clove
2 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
1 tbsp dark muscavado sugar
1 tbsp honey

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring almost to the boil, but before the aromatic wine actually boils, turn down to the lowest possible heat and keep it warm as you ladle it into nearby glass.

But enough about that . . . We've had a very nice Saturday which began pleasantly by going out for a lazy breakfast at a really nice diner just down the street from us. We've only recently started going there because I was harbouring a grudge against the proprietors for a long time - when we first moved here last year I had what I thought was a really good job interview to waitress there. Even though it was definitely not my dream job, I was more than miffed when they told me they'd definitely call me and never did! Grrrr. So, after a year long boycott I decided to give it a try and I'm mature enough to admit that they make some mighty fine scrambled eggs and mushrooms.
Afterwards we got quite a lot of errands done including posting some Christmas packages to Saskatoon (phew! I got them in the mail on time!) Grocery shopping necessitated some serious self-control so I didn't freak at the throngs of dazed and confused people mindlessly blocking aisles, their carts overflowing with chocolate and wine (calm down people, it's only December 2nd!) Now we've spent a lot of the afternoon cooking which was very pleasant indeed. I baked the pie (I'm not all talk!) and Stu made very lovely smelling Irish Stew in readiness his family coming for lunch tomorrow.

6 comments:

the apple dumpling gang said...

Will be over shortly to sample the pie.

Nancy Jean said...

we love the irish stew (stu)!
would have loved to have you alongside me on the very sunny (brisk!) run this morning. alas, osceroo was good company, as per usual.
is that mulled wine pic from St. A's xmas 2004, when ashley got drunk? haha, just kidding auntie S and uncle D!...really, just kidding. i think she took a sip...
big day in cdn poli; 14th street watched with anticipation all day -did you check the results? post your thoughts. you are highly qualified, though you might not want to make this blog political!
i can relate to secretly boycotting establishments. i do it like someone else will care (but they don't)...i am glad you enjoyed some good breaky (rather than having to serve it to belfastians! - things work out, don't they?)
miss you and so wish i was coming for Christmas - love nin

Sara said...

I love how industrious you and Stuart are! (I took two naps today, hurrah) PS - Do you have a Flickr page or anything so I can see more photos??

Julie said...

hello my little apple dumpling,
wish that you really could come over to chill with S and me (even though i don't really know who you are, but then again i think i do . . . ) whoever you are, have a good sunday!
julie :)

Julie said...

SC
Hurrah for naps is right!! I like the way you think. I shall investigate the Flickr thing - your interest warms my heart :) Hope you're having a lovely Sunday in NYC!
Miss ya - j

Julie said...

Ninners
Your comments are sweet - good on you for doing the chilly run - did Oskie keep pace?
Wish I could have been on 14th for the political marathon . . . I can just see Dad animatedly talking out load at Peter Mansbridge. Good stuff. On Mom's recommendation I've been reading about the convention on Rick Mercer's blog (she loves him and I can see why.)
Miss you lots!
j