Friday, December 29, 2006

Culture Vulture

Ah the holidays . . . time to catch up on all those cultural goodies (using the term culture loosely here!) that get neglected during the busy working weeks . . . Here are a few gems that I've enjoyed this Christmas.

I've just finished Victoria Hislop's The Island. Set on the real life Greek island of Spinalonga found off the coast of Crete, the story is about the inhabitants of a leper colony in the mid twentieth century. I know it sounds kindof depressing and it is a sad story in parts but trust me, it has a really good plot with characters that you can really get attached to. While we're on the topic of good holiday reads, I must mention Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a rambling mysterious thriller set in Spain. Stu's reading it right now and really enjoying the story and I felt the same when I read it last year. Both of these books are Richard and Judy Book Club selections (a British rip-off of Oprah's Book Club) but don't let that put you off! I found both a bit slow to get into at the start but give them a good fifty pages and you'll be hooked.

Moving from the page to the screen, I can't help but mention High School Musical . . . Hey! Stop laughing at me!! It was on TV tonight and I am not ashamed to admit that I really enjoyed it. I think it might have been a big phenomenon in North America but I've only heard murmurs of it here among colleagues talking about how much their nine year olds like it. What can I say? I wish I was nine again because I would watch that baby over and over!

No comments: